www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from Hadleylj. Make your own badge here.

Saturday, February 25, 2006

Literacy in Houston

I recently decided to sign up for google alert to get the links for articles on literacy. As a result, I read about a unique endeavor taking place in Houston, Texas. The Houston Public Library has joined with a supermarket chain called H-E-B to create hip-hop cafes that attempt to attract teens to the cool new world of the library. These cafes will feature slam poetry, teen book discussions, and author visitations.
Citing the need for libraries to go to teens, the spokesperson for the library system noted that they want to make it cool to go to the library.
Beyond cool, what is the incentive? Mighty big, I think! A short story contest they intend to sponsor will include two grand prizes of four years tuition to any Texas state university. I am impressed. H-E-B is giving $1.5 million to support the campaign.
These cafes should start opening this spring. I know I'll be waiting to see how it goes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe with Bloglines